May… the Busiest Month of the Year?
By Richard Reignier
VA Medical Center — St. Cloud, MN
I think that May is probably the busiest month of the year. Consider these things:
- The mothers are thinking about and looking forward to Mother’s Day.
- The fathers are thinking about the fishing opener.
- The tomato and flower plants are on the porch or in the garage.
- There are graduation and confirmation parties to attend.
- There are also birthday parties and many weddings.
- Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer.
- Grandmas and grandpas look forward to these times when families get together.
- We go to these affairs because we want the joy of seeing friends and relatives again.
- Bill Gather wrote a song that begins like this, “Precious memories how they linger, how they ever touch my soul.”
- The blessings of God upon these activities make them times to remember.
In the Old Testament during one of David’s down times, we read in I Samuel 30:6, “David strengthened himself in the Lord, his God.”
As we begin a new year, we need to figure out how we can strengthen, encourage and refresh ourselves in the Lord. When we are discouraged
what can we do? First, we can remember what God has done for us. List the ways he has cared for you in the past. My guess is that the list will
be rather long. Include answers to prayer. Second, remember what God has promised. Joshua 1:9, “Be strong and of good courage…for the
Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” This new year, let’s learn to strengthen ourselves in the Lord and then let’s leave the rest with Him.